Friday 21 January 2011

iPad - The end of interactive whiteboards?


I teach in a room with 32 computers arranged in 3 island rows. So my interactive whiteboard is 4' above the ground so the pupils at the back of the class can see therefore the top is an un-useable 8' away from the ground. Even Max in my tutor group (6' 8") [Edit Max tells me he is now 6'8" and a half] might find it a tad difficult to reach.

Solution?

Ditch the IWB and use my iPad to interact with the screen.

The two apps I use are;

The Real VNC
Allows the board to be controlled from any part of the room by me or the students. I can ask them to write text onto presentations or complete tasks without thinking about their height to reach my board.

Air Sketch
This is a great app which display what ever you do on the iPad on the projector using Firefox. It just uses HTML5. Annotate PDF's, images, screen shots of the iPad. It's a good bit of kit!

So with these two apps (£10) I can do all that my IWB (£800). So is this the end?

3 comments:

  1. It seems like that we are going to use iPad as a major part in our educational life. Books, whiteboards, school apps and all of these stuff makes our life so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not able to locate an app called "The Real VNC". Is this an app from the app store? I would like to check this option out.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any of the numerous VNC apps do the job. Try them out and find the one that best suits yourself. I recommend trying Splashtop Whiteboard!

    ReplyDelete